Monday, November 12, 2012

Sight Unseen

We recently returned from Amsterdam and Paris. I just had to visit that boy of mine. Here is one of my favorite images of Rick and me. Sanding in the letter "M".


 Here is the bigger picture. This sculpture is in two different places in Amsterdam: in front of both the Rijksmuseum and the Hermitage Museum.


Vacation photography has really changed. The new thing is to have your picture taken in front of "Famous Icon #whatever." Forever, people were rushing up to something, a painting, a statue and pointing to it while someone took their picture. Then off they rushed to some other famous thing or other. Here's an example:


If they are traveling alone, they take pictures of themselves with their amazing I-Phone technology  standing in front of "Famous Icon # Whatever". This is too funny!

My son tells the story of visiting the Louvre to see the Mona Lisa and not being able to get close enough to see the painting but watching someone take a picture of it in someone's I-phone viewfinder. Seriously! Now it's even worse because people hold up huge I-Pads in the air and take photos with them. Walking down the hall at the Versailles, most of what I saw were cameras, I-Phones and I-Pads in the air. Sort of ruins the view. When on the bus, one guy stood up every time the bus stopped and held his camera in the air and did a slow 360 degree turn with his movie camera running. I am pretty sure people don't really spend the time to watch these things later and for sure they are so busy with their cameras, they miss it the first time too. I guess that will insure a revisit. Maybe that's the angle!

No comments: