Monday, February 21, 2011

Living on the Light Side -- a different meaning

I just finished reading the book The 100 Thing Challenge by Dave Bruno. I would have linked the book title to Amazon but then the author's challenge to himself was to live for one year with fewer than 100 things. How could I really encourage anyone to buy the book. I got my copy from the library.

Dave Bruno's  purpose in living with so few things was to unhook himself from the intravenous drip of American consumerism. It's a good read though a very difficult task for most. I found myself trying to imagine how I could do this. I can't imagine it. I am pretty sure that I could not reduce my stuff to100 things even within a single category in many cases--clothing, fabric, books ...

One of his thoughts: "when is the moment we stop looking for something of value and start desiring something that we think will make us more valuable ourselves?"  It did give me pause, a chance to consider why I buy things and perhaps make a commitment not to go to the mall. LOL

Would you be able to take this challenge?

On another note, my son, Nick, celebrated his 24th birthday on February 17 and I was remiss to write about it here. He sent me this photo snapped by a newspaper in Asheville, NC, where he lives. He was running a 5K or a 10K. I'm not sure which. He could do the 100 Thing Challenge though he would probably have to buy some things to get to 100. He has not bought into American consumerism. 

















You go, Nick, and happy birthday.

No comments: